Sunday 10 February 2013

Communication skills

2012 didn't end on December 21st, as the myth went about. For me, it ended with decent results to one of the longest exam seasons to date.('Don't get ahead of yourself! Final year awaits!', as one of my best friends who has completed the final year, and will soon be a medical intern would say.) I spent the last few days of 2012 with my family and a few friends back home. Three weeks at home went by a lot quicker than three weeks of exams. We got to see the newly developed aspect of the city that I love and cherish. On New Year's Eve, the family and I spent it with friends that I have known for three-fourths of my life. Although we've known each other for so long, there are still things I have learnt about them recently.

My anticipation to go back home was what got me through the gruelling exam period. I had hoped that it would always remain the same, the way things were at home, the childishness that I possess would remain the same, because home is where I grew up, and I could remain a child forever. But, home isn't Neverland. We all grow up, and scarily, we all grow old.

Our classes and clinical postings have taught us that as one ages, there are a variety of diseases that one is predisposed to. The lifestyle one lives, their genetic makeup, risk factors that are hidden in the delicious meals they eat each day all possess a risk in contracting diseases that can cause so much harm to someone and their family indirectly.

The hard part about going back home for a medical student, in my opinion, is learning about the health issues that family members, both in the immediate and distant family. I was visiting relatives before I went back home, and because of my chosen field, my relatives started discussing their symptoms, the medications they were on, their lab reports that they kept in files were shown to me for interpretation and all throughout, I kept thinking about the complications of the diseases, the adverse effects of their medications, and fearing that some of these things that I had listed out in my head would happen to them. Apart from hearing about the illnesses my relatives have from themselves, it is a lot harder to hear the exact details why a relative died while in the hospital from his son.

Six months ago, a relative of mine (it's a lot easier to call him that, because explaining the relationship I had with him is going to take a while) went for a normal check up, and was told that his coronaries were blocked. A Coronary Artery Bypass Graft procedure was called for (CABG in medic language). His son was told that the risk of him not making it through the procedure was 5%. He was kept under observation in the ICU for a few days, and was slowly recuperating. He was in his senses and responded well to the people around him. He was also a diabetic, and because of that, he was prone to gangrene at the peripheries. He developed gangrene on his toe, and was kept in the ICU for a longer time. During his ICU stay, they had performed a tracheostomy, because he was conscious. He developed Pseudomonas pneumonia. They had started him on powerful antibiotics, to no avail. He was struggling until 2.08 A.M, August 1st, after which he slowly started to deteriorate. He passed away at 8 A.M, August 1st.

He was one of the very few people who were genuinely happy that I got into medical school. He was very enthusiastic about education and medical care. Although he was a lecturer at a polytechnic college, he was well aware about other fields. It broke my heart to hear that he passed away with so much suffering.

When this story was recounted in front of the family, they blamed the hospital for not treating their patients properly, when the reality is that Pseudomonas is an acquired infection from hospitals and very resistant to treatment. I then realised that there was a communication gap between doctors and the patient party.

I aim to help bridge the gap that has formed between healthcare providers and their recipients, and it all starts by explaining what exactly they are going through. I have begun to reach that goal by explaining what my family are or were going through, and though it may be time consuming to actually explain in detail the conditions they face, they become more aware, and their family members do not have any misconceptions.

I hope that in the future, I can help bridge this divide on a larger scale, as it is the cause for many preconceived notions about the work that we do in this field and the prejudices many people have about doctors and why lab investigation and treatment costs are increasing. It helps to bring about more information to those that are suffering from diseases that can be dealt with, by adapting a slightly different lifestyle. I will work hard to communicate more with my patients and explain what exactly we are doing to help them get better in time. 

2 comments:

  1. my relative was asking me why it took so long for bacterial culture as her dad passed away because of nosocomial infection due to unknown bacteria/virus. I spent time explaining the culture and importance of preventive antibiotics to them. the thing that we can do is increase public health awareness to reduce the gap between doctors and patients :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! There needs to be better communication and more awareness about these things. People are under the impression that the hospital is a safe place, that no infections can happen, but it is actually the very opposite, no matter how much we sterilise and disinfect.

      Delete