Thursday 14 March 2013

'My life flashed before my eyes'

It is a statement one hears from someone who has undergone a traumatic, near death experience, or when one is afraid to hear a death sentence approaching them. It is a statement I heard recently and I could not help but wonder what I would see. Not that I wish that something that scary would happen to me, but I wonder, at that moment, what my mind chooses to focus on in that tiny time span: The moments that I think are important? The people I love? The places I cherish? If it does choose one of them, would they coincide with the moments I consider important? Would the list of people remain the same, or would there be a smaller list? What are the places that my mind would want to revisit, in that second?

After that moment, does one reflect on it, and change how they have lived life until that second? Do they choose to be more lively, stand to smell the flowers for a little longer, keep food in their mouths a little longer, and savour each and every moment as it passes by, or do they pick and choose, the moments that they choose to appreciate more, spend more time with those they saw in that fraction of a second, and revisit all those places that they saw?

I am not sure how I would react if, God forbid, something like that happened to me. I have grown to appreciate my family and friends more, now that I live away from most of them, and with those that I do live around, I try to spend as much time with them as I can, for who knows what tomorrow will bring. The best I can do, is to pray that everyone that I love remains strong, healthy and happy for a very long time. I pray that none of them will have to see their life whoosh by in front of them for a long, long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment